A Legend of Punjabi Music
By Inaam Nadeem
G.A. Chishti, a legend music composer of Pakistani cinema
can be categorized one of the founders of Pakistani film music. He had
already established himself in the pre-independence era. G.A. Chishti
was firmly grounded in the Punjabi ang. He was particularly apt at weaving
the design of influences around Punjabi music.
G. A. Chishti started his career by composing music for the film Deen o Dunya in 1936, and in 1938 he had composed music for L
R Shori's film Sohni Manhival. After the success of this film,
he moved to Calcutta where he had composed music for several films. Censor
board banned one of his compositions Aik Shehar
ki londya nainon ke teer chala geyi... from
film Shukriya in 1944.
In 1949, G.A. Chishti migrated to Pakistan, At that time the
Pakistan's films industry was in primitive stage and its productions
were generally unable to compete with the selected (imported) Indian
films. Music was the exception.
G. A. Chishti started to compose the music of three films at a time,
that were Sachchai, Mundri and Pherey. Pherey became
a blockbuster after the release. It was not only the first successful film
of Pakistan but the first silver jubilee hit too. It is said that G.A.
Chishti composed all of the tunes of this film only in one day. Pherey had
the following hit songs:
- Menoo Rabb di sonh tere naal pyar ho geya...
- Akhian laveen na, ve fer pachhtavin na...
(Munawar Sultana, Inayat Hussain Bhatti)
- Ki keeta taqdeere, rol chhadey do heerey...
- Jai nain si pyar nibhana, sanu dass ja koi thakana...
(Inayat Hussain Bhatti)
G.A. Chishti had a very long and successful career. He had
composed almost 5000 tunes. In Pakistan he had scored music for 152 films.
He had also a poetic skill and was able to write poetry in Urdu and Punjabi.
He had written the lyrics of almost 12 songs for films. G. A. Chishti
was a very simple, affable and kind person. Due to his popularity and
venerability, He was called "Baba Ji" in film world. He had always composed
the tunes to keep in view of the public-demand and this is a fact that
his tunes are still very popular in public. He had composed some Urdu
films too, but infect he was a specialist of Punjabi film music.
G. A. Chishti's real name was Ghulam Ahmed Chishti. He was born
in 1905 in Gana chor, a small village of Jalandhar. He was a fond
of music from his childhood and in his early educational days, he was
used to sing "Naats". When he came in Lahore, he met with Agha
Hashar Kashmiri, a well-known writer of subcontinent who was a good composer
too. He joined to Agha Hashar as an employee on a salary of Rs. 50 per
month. He got his early music training under the influence of Agha Hashar
Kashmiri. After the death of Agha Sahab, G. A. Chishti joined a recording
company and started the compositions. He produced some records of Jaddan
Bai and Ameer Bai Karnatki.
He was died in the age of 89 by heart attack, on December 25, 1994, in Lahore.
G. A. Chishti's Discoveries:
- Madam Noor Jehan as singer on Lahore stage
when she was just 9 years old in 1935.
- Zubaida Khanum in Billo 1951.
- Saleem Raza in film Noukar 1955.
- Naseem Begum in Guddi Gudda in
- Nazir Begum in Miss 56 in 1956.
- Mala in film Abroo 1961.
- Masood Rana in first punjabi films Rishta in
- Pervez Mehdi in Chann Tara in
- He instructed famous musicians Rehman
Verma and Indian
Some memorable film songs
Baba Chishti had a very long and successful
career. He had composed almost 5000 tunes. In Pakistan he had
scored music for 140 films and was the first ever musician who
composed music in 100 films.
- Sadi nazran tun hoien kahnu door dass ja...
(Singer Inayat Hussain Bhatti, film Morni 1956)
chunni dian reshmi tandaan, we main ghut ghut...
(Singer Zubiada Khanam, film Jatti 1958)
- Qadm barhao Sathio, qadam barhao...
(Singer Inayat Hussain Bhatti & Irene Perveen,
film Saltanat 1960)
- Sadi ajab kahani a, bhul ke purane dukhre...
(singers Masood Rana and Mala, film Mera Mahi
- Nain pukha Shehar Graan da, nain chah zulfan di chhan da...
(singer Masood Rana, film Pilpili sahib 1965)
- Noor-e-Khuda mile keh Habib-e-Khuda mile...
(singers Masood Rana and Irene
Perveen, film Mojza 1966)
- Yeh dil ki hasrat machal rahi keh aarzoo muskara rahi hay...
(singers Masood Rana, film
- Teinu takdi na rajja, howan do lakh akhan...
(singer Noor Jehan, film Abba jee 1966)
- Ohna dhakke dar dar de, mar jan jinhan dian Maawan...
(singer Masood Rana, film Abba jee 1966)
- Kalla Banda huwe paven kalla Rukh ni...
(singers Masood Rana/Naseem Begum, film Chacha jee 1967)
- Main chhajj patashey vandan ajj qaidi kar laya Maahi noon...
(singer Noor Jehan, film Jani Dushman 1967)
- Mahia we, Bangla pawa de aithe, te utte pa de Phul Patian
(singer Runa Laila, film Jagg beeti 1968 )
- Ni Veer mera Wohti leaya, assan unhun Palang
bathaya (singer Naseem Begum, film Jagg beeti 1968)
- Kalli kalli na javeen Mutiare, tu tohr jawani di..
(singer Masood Rana, film Babul da Vehra 1968)
- Chann chodhvin da hove paven pehli raat da...
(singer Mehdi Hassan, film Chann chodhvin da 1968)
- Akhian mila ke neevin paan waleyo...
(singers Masood Rana, film
Jawani deevani 1968)
- Apne Des nu apne kehn tun darde o...
(singers Masood Rana, film
- Chhup jao Tareo pa deo
(singer Naseem Begam, film Langotiya 1969)
- De ja Challa nishani teri mehrbani...
(singer Naseem Begum, film Chann Veer 1969)
- Ki veshakhi aai ni maa...
(singer Noor Jehan, film Yaar te pyar 1970)
- Koi nawan lara la ke mainu rol ja...
(singers Noor Jehan, film Wichhora 1970)
- Tanga bharia sawarian naal. dil yaaro khali ho geya...
(singers Masood Rana, film
- Oho be-iman, fer chaite aa geya...
(singer Masood Rana, film Yaar te pyar 1970)
- Sadqe main jawan unnah toon...
(singer Masood Rana, film Bhai charah 1970)
- Sun Kaliye ni surkh Gulab diye...
(singer Masood Rana & Tasawur Khanum, film Sayyan 1970)
- Lyelpurun mangwaya jhumka Chandi da..
Laila, film Bholey Shah 1970)
- Sanu vi lai chal naal ve Bau sohni Gaddi walya..
(singer Naseem Begam, film Chann Puttar 1970)
- Waada kar ke mukre jehra...
(singer Noor Jehan, film Uchi Haveli 1971)
- Mukh, Matha, Nakk, Akhan... sadqe...
(singer Inayat Hussain Bhatti, film Baba Deena 1971)
- Uchi lammi Koonj jei Mutiar
(singer Masood Rana, film Uchi Haveli 1971)
- Pagal ne o jehre sacha paya kisse nal karde nein
(singer Noor Jehan, film Yaar Des Punjab de 1971)
- Hereo te Makhno, buhte sare sohneyo...
(singer Masood Rana, film Mera Baul 1971)
- Do dill ik doje kolon door ho gaey...
Laila, film Zaildar 1972 )
- Sadey Dil ne gawah Mahia...
Laila and Masood Rana, film Zaildar 1972)
- Zulf da kundal khulle na...
(singer Inayat Hussain Bhatti, film Dhol jawania maney 1972)
- Eh Duniya roop behroop, es tun bachna painda a...
(singer Masood Rana & Tasawur Khanum, film Ishtihari Mulzim i 1972)
- Ik majboor ne duya de sukh apne pyar ton vare nein...
(singer Noor Jehan, film Sohna Veer 1973)
- Tak chan paya jaanda ee...
(singers Noor Jehan and Pervez Mehdi, film Chann Tara 1973)
- O jindey, wah jind apni...
(singers Inayat Hussain Bhatti, film Sohna Daku 1974)
- Dil tutiya, taan samajh ayi, jagg da jhoota pyar...
(singer Mehdi Hassan, film Pulekha 1975)
- Sade jahe majboor vi jagg wich honde ne...
(singer Masood Rana & Mala, film Maa sadqe 1976)
Author's email: email@example.com
Total 157 films (1936-83)
140 Pakistani films:
24 Urdu, 116 Punjabi films
17 Indian films:
13 Urdu/Hindi, 4 Punjabi films
in India (1936-50)
L = Lahore based
C = Calcutta based
B = Bombay based
» Deen-o-Duniya (L)
» Sohni Mehinwal (L)
» Pap ki Nagri (C)
» Chanbey di Kali (C)
» Mubrak (C)
» Perdesi Dhola (C)
» Khamoshi (C)
» Manchali (C)
» Kalian (B)
» Shukriya (B)
» Albeli (B)
» Zid (B)
» Yeh hai zindagi (L)
» Jugnu (B - One song)
» Jhuti qasm (B)
» Do baten (B)
» Natti Bhabhi (C - uncompleted - 1950 - Harri
Singh composed other songs)
in Pakistan (1949-83)
» Anokhi daastan
» Soteeli Maa
» Guddi Gudda
» Miss 56
» Rani Khan
» Teer andaz
» Chacha Khamkha
» Mama jee
» Mera Mahi
» Abba jee
» Chacha jee
» Imam Din Gohavia
» Ravi Paar
» Jani Dushman
» Jagg beeti
do din da
» Chann Chodhvin da
» Qaul qarar
» Koonj wichhar geyi
» Veer pyara
» Ghabroo Putt Punjab de
» Do Nain sawali
» Wichhrey Rabb mailey
» Yaar te pyar
» Bhai charah
» Bholay Shah
» Chan Puttar
» Tikka Mathey da
» Matrei Maa
» Rabb rakha
» Uchi Haveli
» Yaar des Punjab de
» Khoon Paseena
» Ucha shamla Jatt da
» Sohney Phull pyar de
» Puttar da pyar
» Ishtahari Mulzim
» Mera Babul
» Chann Taara
» Mera Khoon
» Ghairat da parchhawan
» Dharti Sheran di
» Tota chasham
» Qatil te Mafroor
» Jigar da tukra
» Sohna Daku
» Sultana Daku
ghairat yaaran di
» Maa Sadqe
» Dukki Tikki
» Thaggan de Thagg